So you need a photographer. You go to your computer and Google to find a local one. Numerous come up. How in the world do you choose?
This post is to provide some tips to help you choose the photographer that’s right for you.
As you can see, the field is competitive. There are countless photographers in the area, and many of them do not even show up on Google. That doesn’t mean they are bad photographers – maybe they just need to learn more about ranking their business.
But I digress. Here are some tips to choose the best person for you.
- First, what do you want photographed? Most photographers specialize in certain areas of photography. Some love weddings. Some just do families and children. Some love maternity. My first suggestion is find a photographer that loves to shoot the type of images you want. If you want a wedding photographer, look for photographers that have that specialty. I got a phone call a few days ago from a woman wanting maternity photos. I frankly told her that maternity is not my specialty, and she must have found someone else because I haven’t heard back from her.
- Look at websites and check out their photos. Photographers have different styles and you need to find one that has the style you prefer. Photographers have different ways of lighting their work, of editing their work, of posing, and more. Find someone whose images speak to you and make you stop in your tracks when you see their photos.
- Check their prices. The prices of area photographers are all over the map. If you go to Craigslist, you will likely find a wedding photographer who will charge $500. Others will charge you $5,000. Know what your budget is and what you can afford, but if possible don’t let price be your main factor. Some moments only happen once and you want to make sure it is photographed the way you want it photographed.
- Choose someone you like. You want to work with a person who you feel comfortable with and get along with. If you aren’t, your attitude may reflect in your photos.
- Who is available. One practical factor is whether the photographer is available. If you have your heart set on a particular photographer but that photographer isn’t available when you need him or her, the bottom line is you will need to make another selection. To ensure your photographer is available, book early.